The history of the previous castle and the present chateau are closely linked with ancient feudal lordships of Lunas.

   The Roman road that connected lower Languedoc to Rouergue via the Pétafy-Pass, travelled through some major geographical landmarks where settlements such as Faugères, Boussagues and Lunas grew.

   The latter was on a small plateau of rock formed by the northwest tip of the Pioch de Lintil and the Poussel-Roux. It separates the St-Georges and Nize rivulets and on three sides has sheer cliff faces about 100 metres high. As well as separating the St-Goerges and the Nize, its northern face stands above the left bank of the river Gravezon.

   This precipitous and impressive rock is known as the " Redondel " and offers an excellent strategic position, towering above the access route to the areas around Lodève as well as the " Lower Lands ". As a result a fortified castle was built on this eagle’s nest of a platform very early on. It was high above the houses that made up the original village of which the lower third formed a crescent shape.

   The castle’s position was well chosen as it was inaccessible from three sides due to the sheer rock face and the rivers below. Along the fourth side, a seven metre moat was dug at a depth of ten metres. The only access to the castle was by a drawbridge.

   Although there is nothing left of the original castle, there are remnants of broken walls in various places and it is particularly interesting to see some ruins of the outside wall followed the natural line of the cliff face.

   The history of the castle, its subsequent chateau and the Lords living there, can be divided into four distinct periods :

1- The period of the viscounts from the castel's construction to 1201,

2- The Lords of Faugères, from 1201 to 1516,

3- The barons of Narbonne-Caylus, from 1516 to 1706,

4- The contemporary period, from 1706 until the present day.

Map of the ruins

History of Lunas